Fabric Flowers!

I’m not normally a fabric gal (looove paper instead), but I’ve been experimenting a little.  If you’ve read my recent posts you know I made these organza peonies using my Silhouette to cut them out, but I finally got brave enough to try fabric interfacing.  I wasn’t sure what to buy, so I bought some Silhouette Clean Cut Fabric Interfacing and some Lite Steam a Seam 2 from JoAnn’s (thinking it might be the same as Silhouette’s Sewable Fabric Interfacing).

This is what I made with the Clean Cut interfacing:

fabric-flower-headband_cc

And with the Steam a Seam interfacing:

steam-a-seam-lite

And with contact paper on top like the organza peonies (no interfacing):

ruffle-headband-2

These are my observations. For most of these tests I used plain ol’ thin cotton fabric, like for quilting (or so I assume, non-sewer that I am–two pieces were actual fat quarters).

The Clean Cut is pretty thick, and is intended to be ironed on to fabric or paper after cutting. Because it makes the fabric fairly stiff, you can cut more intricate shapes with it and is less likely to fray. It’s quite plastic-like on the back, so I’m not totally thrilled with the flower headband but I think it will be fine. I cut out other shapes like hearts that I’ll iron on to paper one of these days and see how it works. It cut very nicely with a sharp blade and the “Fabric (interfacing)” default settings in Studio. The flowers were a bit floppy and heavy, so I hand stitched a bit to scrunch the centers and give the layers dimension.

clean-cut-dimension

The Lite Steam a Seam 2 may be more like Silhouette’s sewable interfacing, but I think I’ll buy some of the real stuff just to see. It’s definitely thinner, and still cut nicely (I was worried because the fabric was pretty floppy when laying it on my mat compared to the clean cut stuff). It cut the word “mother” with no trouble, which is intricate enough for me. It’s pretty sticky on the back so the layers stick together, which I’m also not thrilled about for a flower on a headband. But one one of the flowers I was able to easily remove the interfacing so all that remained was the fabric flower. Not bad…

Which led me back to my previous trick of laying contact paper on top of the fabric, the same as for delicate fabrics.
1) I cut a piece of red cotton fabric 8.25″ x 11″ and laid it on my cutting mat (a sticky mat is necessary).
2) Then I laid a piece of 9″ x 12″ clear contact paper on top so the sticky edges extended beyond the fabric and stuck to the mat.
3) I cut 9-10 of these simple flowers (approx. 2.75″) with a sharp blade set on 3, speed 5, thickness 32.
4) I peeled off the excess fabric, then peeled off the contact paper from each flower.

ruffle-tut-1
ruffle-tut-2

5) Next I folded each flower in quarters and threaded the stack together, one by one. (If you don’t want the fabric to fray, run a little Fray-Check along each edge before sewing. That’s good stuff!)

ruffle-tut-3

6) When I got to the last one I just sewed it back through the first flower, making kind of a circle. Then I stitched it to a stretchy headband, and that’s it!

ruffle-tut-4

And shown by my beautiful models:

clean-cut
ruffle-headband-1

And one more similar flower, this time with another type of delicate fabric. I couldn’t do anything to get this one from fraying when I used the contact paper on top, but some people like this look:

purple

For similar tutorials, read this Flower Hair Pin Tutorial by Rachel and this Ruffly Flower Tutorial by Mary. (I found both on Pinterest and just made my own flowers in Studio for my Silhouette to cut.)

Leave a Reply